Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Nursery Transformation




Nursery Transformation

When we purchased the old farm house, it was always our idea to transform the bedroom next to ours into a master bath since it had a door connecting the two rooms. But when we found out that we were expecting our little miracle, that all changed. It was now going to be the nursery. We expected to be able just to pill off the layers of wall paper but it became apparent that the stripping of the walls was going to be a much bigger task than expected. The more we peeled off the worse the plaster walls became so Chris and I decided that we would just break out the check book and get the walls replastered. We wanted the job done right. We hired a guy to come in and redo the whole room and peel off the decades worth of wall paper. They peeled away 14 layers of just wall paper. They also said that there were layers of paint on top of the paper so all in all, it was about 20 layers of paint and paper. I also had them pull the horrible blue carpet up. When they installed it, they glued it down and it was going to be a bugger to get it up.

A picture showing the horrible blue carpet and you can see the top layer of the wall paper.

Another view of the wall plus the exposed heating duct.
The heating duct is now drywalled in and no longer an eye sore. Also you can see the walls with the damaged plaster.

Dry wall is up and it looks fantastic.

The heating duct is all enclosed and looks 100% better.
I picked this color first, thought it would work. When I got it up on the wall, it made the room way too dark. 
Once I saw that the original paint was too dark, I had to go back to the store to find a new color.
Something that was not too light. I chose a color called winter wheat.

When the walls were painted Chris and I spent a weekend putting crown molding and chair railing up. He later spent a few days scrapping the rest of the carpet pad up and we sanded the floors down when all the rubber was gone. It was a dusty mess.

After the floors were sanded we laid the carpet down. I went with carpet tiles because of cost, easy installation and if Lucas ever spills something and stains a tile, I can just pull that tile up and replace it with the extra tiles. Plus, when we are ready to make it a bathroom, it would not been a complete waste of money when we put carpet down.
With the help of Brandon and Val, we were able to finish the floors that night. Chris and I were getting ready to call it a day when the surprised us and came to help. They are true true friend and we are so blessed to have them in our lives.

After the carpet was put down, we brought in all the baby furniture.
 The room looked pretty big before we brought in all of the furniture.



                                       
                                            The crib was all setup. Just needed a mattress.

Brought in the glider rocker that Mom bought for Lucas and the cute side table.
Finally was able to put up the decorations I had accumulated for months.
The boots are dad's and the cowboy hate belonged to Grandpa Avery.
I have one more wall to put pictures on and finish the bedding, then the room will be 100% complete.
 But Lucas doesn't care that he had an unfinished room when he arrived.



This was taken after we finished the carpet, I was exhausted but it was such a nice feeling to have it completed.
I will take another picture when I have the quilt and curtains finished.
 But for now, I am so excited to have my little one here after all this time.

1 comment:

The Wride's said...

Congratulations!! He looks so cute! I can't wait to see more pictures of him! The nursery is adorable! I love it! :)